Are you 19 years old or younger, female, missed your period, getting signs like nausea, breast tenderness, feeling tired? Teenage pregnancy could be underway.
Pregnancy that occurs in female of 19 years or younger resulting from sexual intercourse specifically vaginal intercourse with a man is known as teenage pregnancy.
Signs of pregnancy
Asides other signs you may get you may noticeably experience
- Missed or absence or skip of your regular period
- Nausea or vomiting in the morning
- Breast tenderness
- Feeling tired
- Weight gain
- light headedness
- Swollen abdomen Etc.
Risk associated with teenage pregnancy
Reduction in number of red blood cells. May cause the pregnant mother to feel weak and tired. It also affects baby’s development
Pregnancy induced hypertension, causes low birth weight and premature birth in babies, harms the kidney and can be disastrous for both mother and baby
Isolation and depression
Isolation from family, friends and loved ones may cause a young, expecting mother to be depressed.
Teenage pregnancy leads to drop out from school and gets in the way of your dreams
Low standard of living
Pregnancy requires efforts. From getting daily requirements to feeding and acting right, when family and friends reject you, you feel forced to stand alone which may be disastrous if there are no means to earn a living for survival. Especially if the man responsible for the pregnancy is irresponsible.
Teen mothers are at risk of delivering premature babies
Under weight babies/Low birth weight
This is highly associated with teen mothers which increases risk of infant mortality, affects baby’s brain development and may cause trouble feeding and breathing in babies as well as learning difficulties.
Pregnancy test strips
Can be used from home if you read labels correctly. It detects pregnancy hormones in urine. Wait 2 weeks after missed period to use pregnancy test strips to lower risk of false results
After confirming from pregnancy test strip, go further with blood test to confirm more accurately or
Go for a
- Physical examination by a health care provider
Options for a pregnant teen
Speak to your doctor on
- Giving birth and raising the child.
- Giving the child legally to someone to raise
- Ending the pregnancy medically.
How to care for your teenage pregnancy
- Eat well
- Stay active by exercising moderately
- Avoid cigarettes and alcohol
- Take regular appointments to the doctor, once every month and every other week in the first and last months of your pregnancy
N;B See your doctor if you notice signs like
- Swelling or pain in legs
- Abdominal pain
- Vaginal bleeding.
- Blurring of vision
- Leaking fluids from vagina
- Pain or burning during urination
- Continuous vomiting
- Continuous head aches
- Chills or fever
How to prevent teenage pregnancy
- Stay away from sexual intercourse with men
Use birth control methods like;
- Birth control implants
- Inserted under skin of arms
- Intra uterine device( IUD);Implanted in your uterus by a doctor
- Birth control pills like
Yasmin, Alesse, Loestrin, orthonovum etc
- Birth control shot like
- Birth control patch like
And preventive methods like
Use of cervical caps and diaphragm;
Place in vagina when you want to have sex to block sperm from entering uterus
Use of condoms
Proper use protects from Sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy
Morning after pills like
Plan B one step, next choice etc. contains hormones that prevents you from releasing eggs into the uterus
Birth control sponge
Treated with spermicide that blocks sperms from entering the uterus.
Risk factors of teenage pregnancy
- Use of drugs and alcohol by teenagers
- Partying by teenagers
- Peer influence; following friends who influence them
- Early puberty: Girls who experience surge of hormones, rapid maturity and changes may respond quickly and engage in sexual activity
- Rape or sexual abuse
- Lack of contraceptive or preventive measure before sex
- Environmental influence and lack of family love and support.
- Poor home training
- Media influence
- Poor sex education
- Mimicking other family members
- Poverty: Engaging in sex for benefits like money, gifts or promise of marriage.
Final note; At JaRaHaB we value your questions, suggestions, opinions and comments. We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or use or contact us form
Disclaimer; No content on JaRaHaB should be used as a direct substitute for medical advice from your doctor, health and appearance personnel or practitioner.