Black heads; How do i prevent it and what are the remedies? If you’re asking this then you must know that blackheads can be controlled. I have been a victim of black heads on my elbow, thigh and face too.
When the hair follicles on the skin gets clogged the result becomes small black bumps called blackheads. They appear on the face, chest, arms, neck, back and shoulders and are the most mild form of acnes.
Factors that increase chances of developing black heads are below.
- -For certain reasons dead skin cells may not shed off the skin. In the process, the hair follicles become irritated.
- When the skin produces too much oil
- When acnes bacteria build up on the skin.
-Hormonal changes during menstruation and birth control pills.
- Drugs like corticosteroids, androgens or lithium.
- Choice of foods; eg. Too much milk, sugar, and chocolates foods.
How do you detect blackheads?
Blackheads are not hard to detect. Once you see a visible, painless black spot that doesn’t resemble the typical pimple in areas like the face, chest, elbow, back or shoulder etc. then it may just be it. It occurs due to dead skin cells and oil clogging your pores.
How to prevent blackheads
- -Quit touching your face all the time.
- Wash your face regularly
- Use mild products and scrub the skin gently
- Change your pillow case regularly
- Avoid oil based and alcohol based products and cleansers so as to reduce the risk of blocked pores.
- -Get a skin brush
This is for the gentle exfoliation of the skin to get rid of dead cells. Drink plenty water always and consult a skin care expert on the right type of brush to use and how to use it the right way so as not to worsen it. Moisturize after brushing.
- -Get products containing salicylic acid. While most skin experts claim it is best to use salicylic acid on dry skin, i am totally against it. That skin suddenly have skin challenges from oil production doesn’t totally mean it has enough oil for activity. I have a dry skin and i know what damage using a powerful product like salicylic acid has done to it and I never dared to try it again. I cannot risk stripping my skin of natural oils. But for people with oily or normal skin types, mostly those with less sensitive skin, salicylic acid is an excellent treatment for black heads and white heads as it clears excess oils and dead skin cells that clogs pores.
There are claims that salicylic acids gently exfoliates dead skin cells. But my all powerful tool in exfoliation is little water swirled in white sugar and stirred with the finger to a thick consistency which is then applied to spot needing exfoliation and washed off after it’s dried or almost dried. I van vouch on this home remedy. Just incase you do not believe in them or find out it doesn’t work for you as it does for me or you cannot get that busy, then you may chose to get a mild and gentle exfoliation product from the beauty shelves.
- -Get lotions and products containing Retinoid and vitamin A. You must use this product during night time as retinoid is sensitive to UVA and UVB rays. If you find out that it is harsh to your skin, quit use immediately regardless of skin type.
- -Use chemical peel
Get this done in your dermatologist or doctor’s office. Chemical peels can improve skin appearance and repair sun damaged skin as well as scars. It can also unclog pores for new skin growth. But redness, skin discoloration, scaring and even infection is common with it due to chemical combination used in it. It is an evasive procedure and i recommend that you speak to your doctor or skin care expert before undergoing it.
Get your clogged pores removed by a doctor using a loop extractor. Must be done by doctor or trained skin care expert but there are also a few down sides with it.
In this type, a doctor or skin care expert sands the skin to remove clogged pores causing black heads through a special instrument.
Involves using light therapy or intense light beams to treat acnes and blackheads while killing bacteria and decreasing oil production.
Use a home based or beauty store type exfoliation product and moisturize afterwards. Like i stated above, i use white sugar for my exfoliation.
-Use facial steam
This is one of my favorite face care routine. Bring your head covered with a towel close to a bowl of hot water and have the steam concentrate on your face and wipe the face with a clean towel afterwards. It so does wonders in renewing the skin and making white or black heads break or fall off along with dead skin cells.
- -Use products containing little amounts of Alpha hydroxyl acid and beta hydroxyl acid or vitamin c
–Send us a message with your Facebook name to get an invite to our health and wellness support group.
Final message; On JaRaHaB we value your contribution, suggestion, feedback, question, opinion, ideas and comments. We love to hear from you. Send us a message or drop a comment below.
Disclaimer; All contents on JaRaHaB are no substitute for direct medical, health and appearance advice from a medical, health and appearance professional.